Tuesday 11 March 2014

The time that will matter

Edit : A number of edits have been suggested in this post by one of my friends which have been taken into account and the post is now in it's final structure.

This post is dedicated to the time that will matter - the time after Board exams and before JEE Main - the time that is extremely crucial and the time that will greatly change your JEE Main rank if utilized properly - the 15 days time that may change your future.
You might think that you are listening to some news channel where a news reporter is trying to scare you with heavy words. But mark my words - this is the time that may change the game.
Let's come back to the point.
The aim of this post is to approach and help all sorts of students from extremely weak to weak to average to good to outstanding. Even repeaters might find it useful.
This post has been designed to be rather in a Question answer format. A student (you) will be asking questions from me and I'll be answering them.
Let's begin...

01.)Question : My board exams are over. What should I do to improve my JEE Main Rank ?
Answer : JEE Main syllabus is exactly same as CBSE syllabus. So, the books that are the best for JEE Main are also exactly same as the books prescribed for CBSE, that is - NCERT Books. For JEE Main, NCERT is the god-book. Prepare NCERT thoroughly - both class 11th and 12th. It should take around 1 week to complete NCERT if you have prepared for your board exams well.

02.)Question : I haven't prepared exclusively for JEE Main. But I am going to appear for it. What should I do ? I am an average student.
Answer : Since you haven't prepared exclusively for JEE Main, it might be expected that you aren't thorough with class 11th syllabus. So, it is advisable that you should start NCERT class 11th. You must rely solely on two things : 
->NCERT Textbooks
->Past year AIEEE (now JEE Main) papers
Solve the problems given in NCERT and all the past year papers.
It is highly likely that you won't find yourself comfortable with past year papers because you never prepared exclusively for the exam. In that case, I would suggest you to look for solutions to the past year problems in the websites of various coaching institutes (FIITJEE/Resonance for instance). Also, you can buy Arihant past year papers (with solutions)
Solve them and you might end up getting NIT or any other good college.

03.)Question : I have prepared well for JEE Main and have taken a coaching for JEE preparation in the past. What should I do to get the best out of this time ?
Answer : It's good that you utilized those past two important years. You are soon going to get rewards for that. Revise - revise and revise. Solve a number of problems. Ensure that you have solved all the past year problems carefully and understood well the solution of each and every question.
In case you haven't solved the past year problems, I would suggest you a strategy.
Pick up a paper say every alternate day and start solving it from morning 9.00 to 12.00 afternoon. Sit on a table and chair and don't get up for those 3 hours. All this is meant to give you an actual feel of the examination.
Ask you parent not to disturb you during these 3 hours.
After you are done with the paper, take a break of say 1 hour.
Then again sit back and check your score. Find out your mistakes : 
Did you commit a number of silly mistakes ?
Did you misread the question ?
Did you go short of time ?
Were you not familiar with a particular concept/didn't know a particular idea ?
etc
etc
Such questions will help you to realize what's wrong with you and your strategy. You should also try various sequences in which you are attempting the paper (PCM or PMC or ...) and find out the one which suits you the best.

04.)Question : I have taken coaching in the past 2 years but I didn't focus much so I am not confident of getting a good rank in JEE Main. What should I do ?
Answer : In that case you should read the following 3 questions :
I am weak in Maths. What should I do ? (Question 09)
I am weak in Physics. What should I do ? (Question 10)
I am weak in Chemistry. What should I do ? (Question 11)

05.)Question : I am confident of getting above 250 marks in JEE Main and I am confident that I will clear JEE Advanced too. What should I do during this period ?
Answer : First of all, make absolutely sure that you are "confident" and not "over-confident". For checking this, take help from your teachers. Ask them that do you have the potential of being an IITian ?
If the answer is "yes" then read on.
Since anyway your main aim is JEE Advanced, you are suggested not to waste time in JEE Main topics like semiconductors, statistics, etc
Note that this will decrease your JEE Main score (I lost 20 marks in physics because I didn't bother to prepare semiconductors) but since you don't care about it, it will least affect you. Keep preparing for JEE Advanced. You don't need solving JEE Main papers exclusively. You will find them damn easy. Focus on solving tough JEE Advanced problems. Just don't take JEE Main as a big exam.
Note : You might interpret the above paragraph as - "ignore JEE Main completely".
"WRONG" !! That's not my point. My point is that don't take JEE Main preparation as a burden. Since you are anyway preparing for JEE Advanced, JEE Main will be covered side by side automatically - you don't need extra efforts for it.
Also note that don't forget to analyse JEE Main paper because this is going to be your first official "big" exam.
For example, I misread plano-convex lens as bi-convex lens and made a silly mistake in JEE Main. The same mistake was made by my friend in JEE Advanced (yes! the same mistake).
I got it correct in JEE Advanced because I had noted that mistake.

"Finally I would like to say that if you have prepared well for board exams then it won't be a problem for you because your JEE Main syllabus has already been covered.
Also, a good score in JEE Main will please your teachers, parents and friends and will also boost your confidence."

06.)Question : I am a repeater. I appeared for Board Exams last year. What should I do ?
Answer : Since you don't have board exams, you have enough time (more than others). Give your 100% this time. Study NCERT books thoroughly. Ensure that you have solved "all" the past year papers. Don't leave even a single question.
Those who are appearing for the improvement exam, please refer Question 01 and other related questions.

07.)Question : I am not from CBSE Board ? What should I do ?
Answer : Not a big problem. Although, you are recommended to purchase NCERT textbooks and study them thoroughly.

08.)Question : I am done with NCERT. I have repeatedly revised it and I am confident that I will not be stuck in a direct NCERT Question. What should I do ?
Answer : In that case move on to solving past year problems. If you have done that, then get some good revision package meant exclusively for JEE Main and solve it completely.
Choose whichever package you want. All are equally good.

09.)Question : I am weak in Maths. What should I do ?
Answer : Nothing much can be done about it. Ensure that you are solving a number of questions from various topics. Maths is an art. It cannot be learnt in a couple of days. You need patience and above that - a lot of practice to master it.  Solve as many questions as you can. Revision packages will help you. If nothing works, your last resort is RD Sharma. It's the best book out there.

10.)Question : I am weak in Physics. What should I do ?
Answer : Something can be done. First try to cover NCERT fully. Read each chapter carefully and cover at least all the theoretical points given in NCERT. Solve all the problems of NCERT (including the additional problems). They are really good - some of them are up to JEE Advanced level. When you are done with it, move on to solving past year papers.

11.)Question : I am weak in Chemistry. What should I do ?
Answer : A lot can be done about it. Start mugging (cramming) each and every word of NCERT chemistry. If you are successful in cramming NCERT completely, I can guarantee you a good score in JEE Main. Also, it's extremely - extremely important to solve "all" the past year problems. Don't leave any. In JEE Main, questions of chemistry are frequently repeated. So, if you are lucky, you may be facing the same problem again (whose solution/answer you already know).

12.)Question : What do you have to say about examination temperament / examination pressure / fear ? What do you say about "D-day" ?
Answer : A lot is to be said about D-day. Ensure that you get up on time. I assume that your parents will take care of that. Get ready. For this, ensure that you have kept your Admit card, a water bottle, chewing gum (optional) and of course your pencil box.
Take blessings from your parents. Tell them that you are going to give an exam and you aren't going to fight a battle. Tell them that you are a student and not a soldier. Tell them to keep their expectations low.
When you get to the centre, you will see a completely new scenario. There will be all sorts of people. You might see some candidates studying right before the exam and you might feel nervous. What I would say is - "ignore it". A true students never studies at the last moment. He/She is always prepared to be tested. Last moment studies can't help you.
Secondly you might end up meeting one of your friend. It might happen that you both start discussing about the exam - "how tough it can be ?", "which subject you are weak at ?" etc etc. I would suggest you to refrain from all this. This will simply make you nervous. Your friend might tell you some wrong information and you might get scared right before the exam. This might hamper your performance.
You might feel nervous. It's natural. Little bit of nervousness is really important to avoid over-confidence. Almost all the aspirants will face this.
You may also feel too excited about the exam because you have prepared well. That's wrong. Don't be too much excited.
Next comes the time to go inside the centre. Bell rings, paper begins.
You first step would be to get a quick glance of the paper and decide which section is the easiest and which one is the toughest. Your plan would be to solve the easiest section first and the toughest at the last.
In a particular subject also, you are to decide the easier and the tougher questions and solve them in the sequence easiest --> toughest. "Don't" start solving tough questions.
Note that if you are accustomed to solving a particular subject first, then go with it. It's absolutely fine. But please ensure that if say you are used to solving Physics first and by chance physics paper comes extremely tough, then you should be ready to solve maths or chemistry first.
Don't get excited if the paper is too easy - you may accidentally misread a particular question if you are too excited
Suppose you are stuck in a particular question - simply leave it and come back in the end when you have solved other questions.
Carry chewing gums with you. They will help you to keep your mouth wet and avoid thirst. This way, you won't need visiting toilets again and again.
Don't mess with invigilators if you find any question to be wrong. They can't do anything about it.
Another important problem that many students face it that "should I tick the answer about which I am not sure (even when there is negative marking) ?".
My answer is yes - there is no problem in guessing but don't resort to "blind guessing". You might make intelligent guesses say by eliminating 3 options and get to the correct answer. It might happen that dimensional analysis leads you to the correct answer (it happens frequently in AIEEE).
Blind guessing is highly discouraged.

13.)Question : What should I ensure a day before JEE Main ? Can you provide a brief check list ?
Answer : A lot is to be ensured. Most importantly, you are suggested to sleep not later than 11 PM. You will have to get up early the next day.
Secondly, I would suggest you that you should "not" study the day before the exam. You should relax your mind completely. Don't think about the exam.
Watch movies, hang out with friends, play computer games.
Don't play any sport (like cricket/football) because you might end up exhausted/injured. You might break your spectacles (take special care of your spectacles).
Have a light dinner and then set up your bag.
Keep your Admit card, Pencil box with at least 3 pens, water bottle, chewing gum, medicines (if you need them), etc.
Before sleeping, ensure that all the mobiles are in silent mode. It might happen that some of your relatives may call you late night just for wishing all the best. Unknowingly, they might disturb your sleep (happened with me before JEE Advanced).
It may be possible that your sleep blows away. You are excited/nervous/scared and you are not able to sleep. It's natural and nothing much can be done about it. All you can do is to take help from your parents by telling them that you are not able to sleep. This will surely help.

14.)Question : I have opted for online exam. Can you tell me something about it ? How different is it going to be from the offline version ?
Answer : I really won't be able to help you much with this question. Try googling it or posting a question on Quora.

15.)Question : What if I am stuck with a particular question during the exam ?
Answer : Leave that question. First make sure to guarantee your selection and then try to build up your rank. By guaranteeing you selection, I mean that first solve all the easy problems and make sure that you are well above the JEE Advanced cutoff. If you are stuck in a particular question, then leave it. You don't have to be sentimental with a particular question. If it's tough, leave it without giving it a further thought (It does not mean that you leave everything). Come back to it in the end if you get time. But remember that such questions will be the rank deciding questions. These are the questions that will differentiate you from the common junta. These questions will build your score.

16.)Question : What if they suddenly change the pattern of exam ?
Answer : Please don't expect the paper to be of the same pattern as that of last year. I made this mistake and this is the reason my rank slipped a little bit in JEE Advanced. Frame your mind to accept a new pattern. Also, keep in mind that it is a change not only for you but for everyone. So, most of your competitors will be bearing the same pressure as you if the paper pattern changes.

17.)Question : What if the invigilators are terrible ?
Answer : You can't help it in any way. You will have to bear it. In my case the invigilators were 2 ladies and throughout the paper, they gossiped about their daily routines. I was fed up but I couldn't do anything. Remember, don't mess with the invigilators at any cost.

18.)Question : What if I make bubbling errors ?
Answer : Since you are going to use pen to bubble the correct option, you really can't do anything about it. If at some point you realize that you did make some bubbling mistake, stay calm. You can't correct it. Using ink eraser might rather render your OMR unreadable by the scanner. So better not try it. Just make sure to bubble the remaining part correctly and with full caution.

19.)Question : Negative thoughts keep coming to my mind. What should I do ?
Answer : It's completely natural. You might well imagine that "what if Physics paper is tough ?" , "What if I am not able to solve maths questions ?". This little bit of nervousness is important. You should be confident but not over-confident. Almost all the students will face negative thoughts some or the other day. It's not only you.
You can't really help it if paper is tough. If it is tough for you, it will be tough for everyone including the guy who will top the exam. The thing that matters is how you are performing relative to others.

20.)Question : What if the exam does not go well ?
Answer : Well let it be. It's over. There are thousands of people whose exam didn't go well. You can't score 360/360. If you are confident enough that you will be in the top 1.5 lakh then keep calm. You have probably qualified for JEE Advanced. Your aim now must be to figure out why did the paper go wrong ? What kind of mistakes did you make ? Can those mistakes be rectified in future exams ? Did you go short of time ? or did you commit a lot of silly mistakes ? Did you interpret the question wrongly ? or did you use the wrong concept. Such questions will help you find the flaws in yourself and your examination strategy. Try to rectify them and ensure that the same mistakes are not repeated in JEE Advanced. I remember making a silly mistake in physics in JEE Main and my friend did it correctly. In JEE Advanced, the reverse happened. Because I made a mistake in JEE Main, I learnt from it and hence I did not repeat it.
There may be another case - you are pretty sure that you won't qualify for JEE Advanced. In that case, your hands are tied. You cannot do anything except waiting for the results. If after normalization, you rank comes out to be good enough, then congrats. If your JEE Main rank is not good enough, then probably you should wait for counselling. You will have further options to join BITS or other colleges. Or you may choose to repeat the next year if you are willing to work hard next year.

To conclude the looooong post, I would say that all kinds of suggestions and comments are welcome.
Please don't post questions of unrelated topics on this post.

144 comments:

  1. Simply brilliant.....fantastic...very well written....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is your best Aman (till date) , keep going and keep guiding us like this ..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best pre-exam advice I've read.
    Also please write about "I am weak in xxx subject" for jee adv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be done around a month before JEE Advanced

      Delete
  4. Aman , You are talking about R D sharma Objective or subjective , as there are both available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am talking about RD Sharma book which is used for preparation of board exams

      Delete
    2. U told ncert is D god book for her mains,but it doesn't cover lot of topics n like reactions in organic naa, n also past jee main questions r not exactly related to ncert na ?? Am stuck pls help me!

      Delete
  5. Highly appreciated. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something incorrect in the post.
    Those who are repeaters also have to give boards again. There is someone known to me who is a repeater and is giving boards again. According to him his coaching institute (Allen) has asked to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have edited the post accordingly. You are requested to see question number 06

      Delete
    2. @Eduworks It is optional to give Boards again to improve the score.

      Delete
  7. Thanks a ton for this wonderful post. I just want a suggestion from you related to this :
    My boards end on the 27th. My coaching (Narayana) is keeping Grand tests from 28th March to 6th April (everyday) even before I revise all topics. I'll be writing JEE Mains on the 12th April.
    { Also I have been preparing for jee from the past 2 years. The thing is that I should revise topics and solve more problems to improve my score. }
    What do u suggest..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What exactly is your question. I didn't get it

      Delete
    2. I want to know what I should since I have these grand tests even before I revise for jee mains thoroughly..?

      Delete
  8. Wow u r the best in writing posts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please post a question on quora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot to all of you for appreciating the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aman may i know if revision packages provided by FIITJEE for jee mains along with complete "RATTA" of NCERT 11 and 12 will be sufficient to get a 250+ score??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but q 12 has nothing to do with my query

      Delete
    2. I have clearly mentioned about exam temperament which is an important factor. Inspite of preparing hard, if you have poor examination temperament, then you may spoil everything. So - "nothing is sufficient"

      Delete
  12. Hey Aman,
    How is MCQ by A.Dasgupta for Maths questions' practice. It can be easily completed within the Board exam gap and also contains questions of the simlar level.
    Please reply ASAP.
    Link:http://www.flipkart.com/mathematics-mcq-multiple-choice-question-bank/p/9788177098471?pid=9788177098471&otracker=from-search&srno=t_2&query=a+dasgupta&ref=4a7584a3-9418-4c8b-82ac-b99a7261dab2

    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since you have done both FIITJEE GMP & RESONANCE RB,...which one would you choose AS THE BEST?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have told that a million times. I won't repeat sorry

      Delete
  14. Regarding your answer to Q.16., do you want to say that this year, (Again) Out of the total SIX sections constituting Papers 1 and 2 ---- Any of them could be replaced with a new question scheme or pattern ? (LIKE , from 2012 to 2013, 3 paragraphs were made to FOUR and instead of Matrix - Match Type, Matching List Type was brought in (with only One Correct :) )) How to stay Pattern - proof ? Do i make myself accustomed to most varieties of Questions ( even Assertion - Reason, which i feel MOST tricky? ) ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they may change the pattern.
      But assertion reason will not be there because it was decided that assertion reason questions are ambiguous so they would be removed from JEE

      Delete
  15. Hey aman, in fiitjee there are lots of aits to be downloaded for practice at home and also there is rtpf.what would you recommend solving aits or rtpf(no time left to solve both).
    Thanks for a brilliant post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RTPF is better and is more towards JEE
      Aits is tougher and far above JEE level

      Delete
  16. hi Aman,
    i am Arka Talukdar . presently going to 12 jee '15 is my target. I am quite confident of physics and chem and hope to do well. I am enrolled in fiitjee. Maths is my weakest part other than a few chaps in algebra,circles,st lines, i am a big loser. conics and trigo (entire) are a nightmare. I just have a summer to deal with these short comings, what should i do? i have checked ur post on maths and have the books you have recommended but the level of problems being done in class and which my friends solve casually are of a much higher level, so my ques is are these books(arihanth trigo , TMH, arihanth coordinate) enough to be in top 500 in iit, if i solve them cover to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. and i also wanted to ask whether i can get atleast 70/120 in math. i am believe if i try i can get about 90 chem and above 100 in phy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70+ is easy to score. just practice the problems and you will be done.
      The books mentioned are more than enough

      Delete
  18. Hi Aman,
    This question may seem quite trivial, but it's actually really imp. so I'd appreciate if you could suggest something.
    Did you ever face situations like too narrow a seat or table, and shaky desks to sit properly? My parents had gone for a look at the jee mains centre, and it was indeed a place, which would cause such problems.

    Earlier in our mock tests, whenever I used to get such seats, I used to get really panicked. I controlled the panic over the 2 yrs, but since the past few months, I've always got perfectly functioning seats, so I'm not quite "in the zone" of sitting at shaky desks..

    I'm just getting worried over trivial things these days, but pls suggest on The day, if by chance I get such a seat, how should I compose myself?
    Thanks (and I'm sorry in advance for bothering you..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well don't worry about all this.
      It's not an excuse. They usually provide good seats and if some where you heard that "so and so person was not able to clear JEE because he got a broken table" then it's completely wrong. It's an excuse to hide your failure.
      They ensure that all the seats are in proper condition and in case your seat is in some faulty condition, report the invigilators and demand for a seat change

      Delete
  19. I will qualify JEE Main. I am very confident of getting a good score in Physics and Chemistry in JEE advanced. In the 48 days between mains and advanced can I boost my Maths from some 50/120 to 100/120?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aman, This is Ayush from your home city Kanpur. I just wanted to say that You are really an inspiration for me. I always look forward for your posts. You keep me motivated.Just keep inspiring us all. You are doing really good in this field of JEE mentoring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another awesome post!

    Aman, I'm quite good in physics and maths but I'm weak in chemistry..

    I've decided to do the following:
    Inorganic: mug all inorganic chapters from NCERT
    Organic: study NCERT and fiitjee notes thoroughly.
    Physical: Doing problems from RC Muckerjee

    besides doing revision packages and previous questions...
    is my plan a good one? What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey aman in one comment u said that fiitjee aits is tougher and far above JEE level but i m going to enroll for aits so what u suggest i will go for it or not??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if your answer to question 5 is yes and you are confident of getting an under 1000 rank, then go for it.

      Delete
  23. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRICELESS ADVICES.FOLLOWING THEM,I HAVE IMPROVED MY RANK AT MY COACHING CENTER BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS.I HAVE LATELY MOVED INTO TOP 4.BUT I AM A LITTLE HARD AT MANAGING TIME.I HAVE JOINED A NON ATTENDING SCHOOL. CAN YOU PLEASE WRITE IN DETAIL ABOUT WHAT YOUR DAILY SCHEDULE USED TO BE DURING 2 YEARS OF PREPARATION.I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL OF YOU

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Aman;

    Sometimes there are questions(multiple options correct type) in IIT JEE which are highly misleading,
    especially in Mathematics.There are numerous instances, and you might also have noticed them during your JEE preparation.

    So what's the specific strategy about this, i know that lots of practice reduces the chance of falling prey to them to a great extent, but still your advise is requested.

    ReplyDelete
  25. PERFECTION BLENDED WITH BEAUTY... INDEED YOUR GREATEST POST TILL DATE......
    My boards are going well and i am confident of getting 93-95% in boards and above 230-240 in mains.... also, i am confident of clearing jee but with what rank, i don't know. For instance if the level of paper is same like jee 2013, then i can score around 60-65%. but that would not land me in top 50. So i am worried if i will be able to boost it up to 80% in 48 days after mains.... i know it is quite early to ask this but still please answer...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Bhaiya.
    A very infectious thought has been over my mind for 2 years that to relax myself, I can get indulged in T.V. and computer games. I study at Vidyamandir Classes, Delhi and my teacher told us that there are many people who would have got over their distractions, and they would be the ones would clear JEE more smoothly. Now the problem is that I realise, that spending a little and limited time on these is just fine and in fact, will help me relax, but still, I get caught in the vicious addiction and waste a hell lot of time on them. This has always barred me from getting a fairly decent rank in the mock tests. Pls help me get over the distractions

    ReplyDelete
  27. What do you mean by ensuring JEE ADVANCED cut-off in JEE MAINS in question 15?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. getting as many marks so that u r in the top 1.5 lakh .and get qualified to appear for JEE ADVANCED

      Delete
  28. hi Aman please answer the following questions
    1. was there any topic in which you were weak earlier but mastered it after the board exam and before JEE main
    2. was there any topic that you skipped for JEE Main (especially from mathematics)
    3. Is solving R C Mukherjee (the solved questions) after the board exam and before JEE main, a correct decision

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Not really mastered, but I learnt some topics like semiconductors etc which I didn't know. But it is highly recommended that you should not start new topics at this time.
      2. Yes I skipped almost all the topics which are in JEE main but not in JEE advanced like : statistics, mathematical reasoning, etc
      3. Solving RC mukherjee for JEE main is useless. You don't need that high level of problems for JEE main

      Delete
  29. can u post about the bubbling strategy... eg do u tick in the ques paper or bubble straight away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok I'll update the post soon

      Delete
    2. I'm a class XI student. I've not joined any coaching just for the sake that I get ample of time for self study, I'll join coaching in my XII class. By then can you tell me about Kayson Education DVD's. I'm Planning to buy them. Can they be helpfull for me? Are they good? Can they clear the concepts?
      Please plzzzzzz reply to it.???

      Delete
  30. aman iam a iit aspirant taking video coaching from kaysons.i did not begin from 11th.
    now i have a 2 month holiday.plese advice me can i be able to finish iit jee advance portion of 11 in these months and start 12th from june onwards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you will definitely be able to do it.
      Keep calm and study

      Delete
    2. thank you

      i am sure i will be back with more doubts

      Delete
  31. I will be giving JEE Mains, BITSAT, VITEEE, UPTU and may be Advance too this year. So i'm practicing from previous year papers of those xams these days. I have never been serious in my jee preparations but while practicing( in xam format) i'm able to score quite good. Is it so because i'm doing papers of past years (2005-2013). What's the range of difference in difficulty of previous year papers and current level.....what marks should i expect if i'm scoring nearly 200 in previous years papers ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. solving previous year papers at home in a comfortable environment and solving a fresh paper in the examination hall are completely different things.
      You would have covered most of the past year problems in some book or the other. So, you are already done with them.
      No prediction can be made beforehand.
      The last day will decide everything

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Okay !!
      well Aman do you have any idea what marks should a general candidate ought to score to get C.S. branch or a non-physics branch in any of the above exam's corresponding institute.

      Delete
  32. 1.Is it advisable to solve the JEE Main revision package(FIITJEE) of PCM during this period of time (it contains about 900 questions of PCM and i am confident that I can do it before JEE Main)
    2.Now should i need to leave advanced level problem AN DO JEE Main level problem now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your answer to question 5 is yes, then don't bother yourself with jee main.
      Take it as another usual paper
      If the answer is No, then in that case you should take jee main seriously and solve past year problems. When you are done with them, go ahead and solve the revision packages.
      FIITJEE package is NOT good in my opinion. They have basically picked up easy questions of IIT JEE and made up a package for JEE main.
      The problems of JEE main are easy but they are NOT the same as that of easy problems of jee advanced.
      So, fiitjee is not recommended.

      Delete
    2. I have only heard about gmp , does fiitjee provide another revision package for Mains

      Delete
  33. I am focussing on past years mock test and also getting 140 to 150, plus NCERT revision simultaneously.
    I also got Practise sets of Arihant. it is noticed that i score very poorly from arihant practise tests.
    why ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't know the answer to the above question.

      Delete
    2. I have not gone for any coaching. self prepared.
      I am basically solving all past question papers(AIEEE) and questions.
      Hope this shall be useful.?

      Delete
  34. 1) How did you get a full score in Physics(100/100), inspite of preparing semiconductors lightly? Did u just pick up its relevant parts at THAT time ?
    2) Had you ever thought of taking up any monthly magazines (like Mathematics Today, Physics For You etc.) at any time to have a look-through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not something unusual in board exams
      I guessed the definitions on the spot.
      In fact, I was expecting a 100 in maths and ~95 in physics and I got my marks reversed :(
      No, I never took magazines

      Delete
  35. Hi I am in class XII I ruined my class 11 syllabus of physics and maths so I have planned to devote each book 2 months time like mechanics vol 1 2 4 months differential calculus 2 months like that in this way I will complete my all syllabus of advance around december I am quite sure about it so I would like to ask few question please do reply thanks

    1. Is 2 months of daily 3-4 hours on both subject each is sufficient for each book or should I devote more time


    2.is 2 months of regular 3-4 hours enough for inorganic chemistry

    3.according to you out of 10 marks how much would you give to the difficulty level of JEE MAIN,JEE ADVANCED,BITSAT


    4.FOR REVISION FIITJEE RTPF OR REASONANCE RANK BOOSTER

    5. IIIT HYDERABAD CS KE LIE KAUN SA XAM H

    ReplyDelete
  36. Do u suggest solving previous years' IITJEE problems during preparation phase?or after the syllabus is entirely completed?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello Aman my answer to question 5 is yes i am aiming for 290 + score i have completed all 3 ncert books quite neatly. I have a problem i analyzed some previous year jee main (aieee) papers i am screwing up the physics section(my strongest for advanced) because of the extra topics such as diffraction,communication........also in math i cannot solve statistics and those mathematical reasoning problems but everything else easily.....chem i am cool...now the thing is although advanced is my target i have every intention of scoring extremely well in jee main please tell me how to go about things.....
    thanking you and sorry for the long post .

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bhaiya
    If Im getting a rank near 500 to 700 in the aits fiitjee, where not everybody is giving the test, is it possible to boost my rank to top 500 in the jee advanced in the two month gap, or it is not possible? Pl write a post on the two month gap soon. Also, if possible pl write your routine in those months, which'll help us in having a reference. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey Aman,
    I want to inform you that next sunday I will be having my jee mains exam . Last year one question in chemistry have all the options correct. So I want to ask you that what should i do in that case if by chance no question found to be correct or having more correct option having equal chances to be correct answer.
    Please Tell me whether i should attempt these questions or not????????????
    And Thanks for these instructions, they are just fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if a particular question has say 2 answers correct, then they will give marks to all those who marked either of the 2 options.
      I remember I marked only 1 of them and I got that question correct.

      Delete
  41. Hi Aman
    How much time did u devote to per subject in your JEE main exam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paper was over in around 2 hours.
      It took me less than 30 minutes in chemistry
      And the remaining ~1.5 hour in physics and maths
      Of which, around 40 minutes physics and 50 minutes maths.

      Delete
  42. boards are definitely imp..bt can u give me an estimate dat how much can one question in jee main of four marks going to effect the rank?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Are the ranks in jeemain paper1 and 2 connected
    Will d score in paper2 affect paper1?

    ReplyDelete
  44. if one is getting 91% in isc board..how much should he score in jee main to get a rank in top 10,000?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hey Aman please answer this questions
    1.what was your sequence of solving JEE Main paper
    2. Please visit this site and see question no. 81
    http://www.fiitjee.com/pdf/JEE-SOL-INTERNET-PCM.pdf
    u said that u solved the whole paper in 2 hours. So did you solve this question in this 2 hr or during the last 1 hr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a simple problem picked up from irodov i guess.
      I indeed did it in the 2 hours. The rest 1 hour, I checked calculations etc in the questions which were a bit lengthy (like this one)

      Delete
    2. what was your sequence of solving JEE Main paper

      Delete
    3. as usual it was P -> C -> M

      Delete
  46. hey aman im taking some previous year aieee papers for practice im getting odd 23 out of 30 questions in each subject i usually attempt around 26 27 problem is i make silly mistakes......like calculation mistakes etc..i usually finish the paper in say 2 hours 30 mins...... please tell me how to improve my score my jee day is on 11th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also like you i misread a question where instead of cathode as anode hence lost marks...how do i avoid these..?one more thing i usually attempted mpc but now it is cmp as i am very comfy in inorganic thanks to your post which knocked some sense into me to read it (i will thank you explicitly after results :P :P ) so is it ok to change the sequence at crunch time like this..?(although it is working splendidly )one more thing is it ok to leave very tough questions (relatively like that irodov one you mentioned earlier ) to last half an hour or should it be done along with 2 hours only?

      Delete
    2. well read this post :
      http://amangoeliitb.blogspot.in/2014/03/to-be-winner-start-early-post-for-those.html

      Delete
    3. what? that has nothing to do with my question..... i am giving my jee this year !!

      Delete
    4. well, read the relevant sections of the post. Read it carefully.

      Delete
    5. hey man i need to know how to cut down on silly mistakes and increase my time efficiency its not given in that blog that blog is meant for people to get an idea how to begin preparations and how to go about hings this is different i am talking about paper skills....

      Delete
    6. hey,did u got above 290 in jee mains?

      Delete
  47. aman bhaiya can you tell me ,how is kaysons video lectures,reply fast!!
    very thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  48. hi aman
    Finally JEE MAIN is over and i have ruined my paper but i will certainly get a chance to sit for JEE advanced. I just need some suggestions about the problems that I faced during the exam so that i don't ruin my JEE advanced and other future exams
    1. i started with physics in jee main but the thing that happened to me is that i started solving the questions randomly in physics (example suppose i started with question 1 then without reading question 2, 3,4 i directly jumped to question number 23 then again jumped to question number 10 and so on.......) I didn't give a proper start and as a result my score went very low. (same goes with chemistry and maths)
    2. one day before JEE main i decided to start with chemistry but suddenly with i received the question paper in the examination hall something went wrong and i started with physics (the toughest of all three sections in Jee main 2014)
    3. when i reached the examination room some kinds of negative feelings came in my for example i don't have any past glory, will i run out of time, what will happen if i don't do well in the exam, etc etc
    4. when i read some long question (here long question means the question whose length is long not the solution) some kind of negative feeling came in my mind (like am i wasting my time reading such long questions, should i leave it and move forward)
    5. before reading any question i used to get scared due to the reason that i started comparing my speed with others for example suppose i solved 10 questions in 30 minutes, after solving i felt that is the speed enough in comparison to others, will i score 300+ with this speed, will i able to keep examination temperament till the end.
    Aman these are my problems which i before posting here discussed with my parent and teachers but couldn't get a satisfactory answer so now you are my last ray of hope
    SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well changing the plan at the last minute is bad. You were unlucky to have picked up physics (which was toughest) rather than chemistry (which was easiest)
      I really can't help you with your problems. All I can say is stay cool.
      Don't worry about score. Give your 100%

      Delete
  49. hi Aman
    what do you say about point 1 and point 4 of my query

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's all about examination temperament. To improve it, you need to solve plenty of papers - go for a test series rather. That will teach you "how to solve a paper"

      Delete
  50. bhai reply plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    are kayson education helpful to u

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi
    if you remember there was a question in JEE Main chemistry 2013 where all options were wrong so did everyone get 4 marks bonus in that question

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hey, please reply to my query in "Post your marks here" post named by Abk Abk... thanxxx..

    ReplyDelete
  53. Also, are there any 'more' relevant 'posts' coming up before May start?

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Aman
    1. How much time did you take to solve the jee advance paper (both paper 1 and 2)
    2.in jee advance paper how much time did you devote to each subject
    3.please visit these site
    http://www.fiitjee.com/JEEA13/JEEAP1.pdf
    and see question number 2 of physics
    though i could do these by integration but it took quite a few time
    did you solve these question by integration or by some logic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. full 6 hours
      2. I don't exactly remember
      3. no other method

      Delete
  55. Bhaiya.... There was a wrong ques in jee mains' physics section but i got no marks for that ques. Bhaiya do we need to challenge the wrong question inorder to get marks in it or none of the candidates got bonus marks in it....???
    Pls rrply ASAP...

    ReplyDelete
  56. I have done some severe mistakes in JEE ADV 2014 in which I could have scored more than 280, Due to this my present rank may drop to 4000, I had scored 310 in JEE MAINS, and confident of getting admitted to any top NIT's, Shall I take a seat in IIT for a lesser known course ( later try for a branch change ), or join NIT Trichy and repeat ADV with all my efforts. Please help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if your query is genuine, I mean if you really feel that you could have scored 280+ then repeat
      Although it's fishy and I doubt you (to be frank) because you can't just get 4000 rank when you expect to be in top 100
      If it's all genuine, then take a drop
      Joining any NIT and parallely preparing for jee is a terrible idea. It's like putting legs in 2 boats. Your acads at college will be hampered and of course in college you won't be able to prepare for jee well
      So it's the safest to take a drop and roar again next year like a lion

      Delete
    2. Thanks Aman,
      This is my peculiar situation, I marked many answers in OMR sheet wrong after doing it properly in my worksheet while attempting the exam in a quick manner now I realise my mistake . What is the scope for Naval architecture in IIT Chennai. I am a KVPY scholar what about IISC?

      Delete
    3. hey dude I need ur help.. can we talk ?

      Delete
  57. hi aman i am aiming to get 300 marks in both mains and advanced ...and i can do almost all questions in my packages..but the problem is that i could not conpletely finish watever i had planned .....ALSO MY FRIEND STUDIES VERY SINCERELY SEEING HIM MAKES ME VERY TENSED....ALSO I USED TO TOP AT BEGINNING OF MY COACHING AND NOW I AM OUT OF TOP 10 WHICH MAKES ME VERY VERY SAD i just wanted to know that will i be able to achieve my dream of cs in iit bombay..i am giving jee in year 2015..so its my 12 th now and i hav been very fine wid my current portion in coaching ...just a little off track for 4-5 months..

    ReplyDelete
  58. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  59. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  60. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  61. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  62. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  63. if i join coaching in the mid session, how can i cooperate between the coaching and school exams pressure?

    ReplyDelete
  64. is resonance distance learning really a good one?

    ReplyDelete
  65. Is ncert really a good book for jee mains? As many concepts like tangential equation, condition for line to be tangent are not in ncert books.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi Aman bhaiya. I m Akshat.I gave JEE MAIN 2015 and scored 143 and rank in 50k. Also I screwed my JEE Advanced . So should I take a drop for JEE preparation or join some available college and prepare parallely for next year, as advised by my parents? please reply ASAP. I am an average student confused bw these options.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hi Aman, I am in class 12 right now, studying in Delhi with VMC coaching. Your posts are an absolute delight to read. In my experience of 2 years of JEE coaching (I have been preparing since class 10 though class 10 was not seriously used), you have covered every aspect of JEE preparation. Thank you so much for helping out students like me.
    But a small question: I have stopped TV, do not have an FB account since 3.5 years and I don't gossip with my friends. But one think surely scares me, my addiction of reading novels. Though I am trying to curb it for the next 6-7 months till JEE 2016, do you have any tips for this scenario? Have you faced this problem before?

    Thank you again.
    Be great.

    ReplyDelete
  68. You might like to add this

    Get battery of your wrist watch changed some days before exam.
    My friend's watch stopped working in the middle of exam (JEE MAIN). He did not know about it for about half hour.

    ReplyDelete
  69. hlo sir ... im a student of 10th standard .... wat i want to know is... how should i start off with 11 course after my board xams are over ?how did u start preparing

    ReplyDelete
  70. i have heard my batch mates and acquaintances planning to take coaching from 11 onward.... is this advisable ?

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hello aman, I want to ask you whether I should solve previous years jee advanced questions before jee main in the gap between boards and mains?? I have already solved the advanced questions once in our coaching's material.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Thank You for such an helpful post.
    My condition is that I have solved almost all H.C Verma problems(approximately) so should is it recommended solve NCERT during the gap of 15 days?

    ReplyDelete
  73. Is it neccesary to solve previous years as i know that questions arent repeated in jee or should i do objective chapterwise PCM?

    ReplyDelete
  74. I am going to give JEE Main next week. Now in the exam, should I first tick the easy(by looks) questions completely and then solve them without wasting time in difficult ones and then later solve difficult ones- or should i solve a section (say physics) including difficult ones (which need more time) and then move on to next section .I prefered second method for KVPY but now having doubts in JEE. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Hello aman .actually i had prepared very hard for jee adv. I used to stay up all night till 5 30 and solve.i felt nervous on the day of jee main.i am confident of passing but wit less marks.so can u give me any advice or tips for jee adv,?

    ReplyDelete
  76. How can I prepare for bitsat???

    ReplyDelete
  77. Is dropping and preparing for another year a difficult task ?

    ReplyDelete
  78. I am not from cbse board but i have well prepared for jee for past 2 years from resonance and thorough with most oflf the concepts.. So can i complete ncert 11 and 12 within 10 days?

    ReplyDelete
  79. Bhaiya I am scoring 230+ in mains I am not confident of advanced yet I have studied all 2 yrs for it so should I switch to bitsat

    ReplyDelete
  80. Hello bhaiya, I am going to appear for jee 2019. I have joined a coaching institute, but due to lack of motivation and some serious health issues(chronic pain disorder) I was unable to study properly. I very well know that my concepts so far are not at all clear. I am very confused, as I am not able to manage the current chapters being covered in the coaching, as my foundation is very weak. Plus I have to complete the whole of syllabus for my batch reshuffling test, as i cannot affoed to lose my current batch( grooming at FIITJEE). I am not able to manage it all.
    Could you please help me with it?
    Hope to hear soon from you.
    PS: your minibook 'a guide to get a top 50 rank' is very helpful.

    Thankyou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Should I take up electrical engineering or CSE at any old IIT? I'm more interested in electrical and want to code only as a hobby, for which I'm willing to taking certification courses, but I’m also worried about placements and internships.

    ReplyDelete
  82. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete