Wednesday 9 April 2014

Revise class 11th parallel to class 12th

The post will be useful for the following :
  • JEE 2015 aspirants (those who are entering class 12th this year)
  • JEE 2016 aspirants (those who are entering class 11th this year)
How to revise ? One of the most difficult question a JEE aspirant has to face.
How should I revise class 11th syllabus parallel to class 12th ? - I will try to answer this question in this post
Different methods are suitable for different subjects.
Some people would prefer revising from books. Others are comfortable with revision packages.



We will go subject wise :

Revising Maths : Keep solving as many questions as you can. This is the best way to revise maths. It has a number of benefits, most important one being - you won't forget formulas. Additionally, if you are prone to forgetting the formulas, then you should maintain a notebook enlisting all the important formulas in a clear and concise form so that you can go through them quickly in a very short time. Note that you have to prepare the notebook in such a way that you can go through it in a very short time. The reason is that - it's boring to revise the same old formulas if it takes a lot of time. However, if they are written in concise form, then you will be able to revise them more number of times. A better option would be (what I did) to write the formulas in an A4 sheet and carry it with you always. So that you can go through it when ever you have time.
Reading the entire topic again and again from a book would be waste. If you have already covered a topic well, then to revise - the best choice would be to solve problems. For this, you may pick up anything - FIITJEE GMP / TMH / your own coaching material / revision packages. The point is that you should try fresh questions. Also note that you should remember standard questions that have a hidden trick so that you can co-relate it to some other question.
The key to learning maths is solving problems

Revising Physics : I would take up chemistry in the end because it needs more description. Class 11th physics mainly involves mechanics and thermodynamics. The plan would be almost same as that of maths - solve as many problems as possible from the revision packages / books. Additionally, you need to revise the theory portion in physics. For that, I would suggest reading HC Verma. HC Verma is very important from the point of theory. There are small hidden theoretical points that are usually overlooked by students and then these points are asked in More than one correct type questions in JEE. So, it's better to give this book a quick reading over the weekend.
To solve questions, I would prefer revision packages over books because they contain objective type questions that are in accordance to the current JEE pattern. I was from FIITJEE so, I used to solve FIITJEE workbooks, Review package, GMP(I got it from my centre at the end of class 11th itself), and of course HC Verma.

Revising Physical Chemistry : Physical chemistry is more like physics. So the approach would be same as that of physics - read books, solve questions. I would suggest reading NCERT so as to cover all the minute theoretical points that are commonly picked up. Basically NCERT will do the job of HC Verma (for theory). To solve problems, I used same material as given in physics section. Additionally, I solved subjective (solved) examples of RC Mukherjee to develop a deep thinking and a better command over the topic.

Revising Inorganic Chemistry : It is highly likely that you did nothing in inorganic chemistry except chemical bonding. When I say inorganic chemistry, I mean s-block and p-block. Now is the time to do it. You can easily prepare it if you spend just 1 hour a day - 15 minutes revision and 45 minutes mugging new things. Read read and read - nothing more. Inorganic is all about revision and cramming (with sometimes logical thinking as well).



Revision plan :
Now I will be answering the question - "How to balance revision + backlogs + current chapters"
There are 24 hours in a day. Assuming that you sleep 8 hours a day, you are left with 16 hours. Now you might dump another 3 hours in your daily work like eating, bathing, etc. So you are left with another 13 hours. Assuming that you need 3 hours of relaxation, finally you are left with 10 hours - That's a God damn huge amount of time!!!

10 hours a day

Now, let's plan it in our way.
We need around 2 hours per subject daily to progress in that subject. So, this way, 6 hours are gone. We are left with 4 hours, or rather 4 study hours (note that we have counted 3 hours of relaxation and 3 hours extra already). Assuming that you are spending 1 hour with inorganic chemistry, you are left with 3 hours.
Now in these 3 hours, you will be doing 2 things - 
  • covering previous chapters in which you are weak
  • Revising the previous chapter
Both of them cannot be done in a single day usually.
So, you might plan to cover your left out weak topic say on Monday and you may do the revision the next day - and repeat this.
Monday - cover weak topic
Tuesday - revise
Wednesday - cover weak topic
Thursday - revise
.
.
.
.
Now you might be thinking that how to plan all this on coaching days ?
For that, you will have to cut short the things. First of all, you should not spend 3 hours in relaxation - that's a huge wastage of time. Secondly, 1-2 more hours can be saved from those 3 extra hours. I wouldn't recommend decreasing your sleep hours because I believe that body needs 8 hours of sleep. On coaching days, you will have to plan your day yourself - remember I mentioned in one post that I used to plan my next day every night before I slept ? It's one of the best planning tools.
Those who attend school : You people need to plan the things yourselves. Some 7-8 hours a day are usually wasted in school you you need to plan the things in a really smart way.


To summarize - These are the general revision strategies and you may like to use them throughout the 2 years. You may use the techniques mentioned to revise your class 12th syllabus as well.
PS : Do not post questions like "Is ..... possible in 2 months ?", "Which revision package is the best ?", "Can I get .... rank if I study only for 1 year ?", etc. Such questions won't be answered and would be completely ignored.
As far as choosing revision packages is concerned - go through other posts and the comments in them.

55 comments:

  1. AGAIN A GOOD ONE !!!!
    i want to ask u tht how to prepare for othr exams like KVPY, NSEP like when to solve previous year paper of these exms as no time left after revising clss 11 topic during clss 12 ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnks a lot bhaiya... I ws really in need of a proper revision plan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about organic chem? Is it worthwhile to write down the reactions details & mechanisms as you study them and use this in the future for revision or to rely on books which specialize on this job like Peter Skyes etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well depends on what you are comfortable with
      I never needed that in organic.

      Delete
  5. Bhaiya,i wanted to ask whether u did whole of the tmh book at once or left something for revision.did you work out all the examples or directly went on to solve the exercises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it's solved examples during preparation and I did the unsolved ones during revision

      Delete
  6. What do u do when revising ? Problems or?what?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very getting less marks in Fiitjee aiits and phase tests ,due to which my self confidence has gone down.... Since I am a slow learner I haven't picked up most of 11th ...portions what do I do?
    And I am very weak in math and physics what do I do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi brother, can you make another blog entry on tips and tricks regarding revising Organic Chemistry. I could n't find anything regarding that in your blog. If you have already written something, please give a link, that would be helpful...
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Should I solve all questionof dcp . because level 2 is tough itself

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have a problem i.e I am slow at solving questions due to which i cannot attempt sufficient number of questions in the exam . What would be your suggestion for me

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello
    i am starting 12th class . In 11th open test i performed badly and got 92 percentile in fiitjee open test (analogous and same standard as the aits) . Please tell me what percentile is required for a top 100rank.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Which book do you recommend for developing concepts for organic chemistry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Aman.....during revision of 11th parallelvto 12th.....u did revision packages.....bt somewhere in the blog u also mentioned that revision packages are best for final revision..and i also want to solve revision packages once i complete the entire syllabus...so if I do the following for revision(parallel to 12th preparation)..will u approve my plan?
    Physics:HCV(obj.1+2) & IE Irodov
    Chemistry:Avasthi-Jaiswal-Chauhan(L-2,3)
    Maths:Arihant(L-2,3)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello ,i want to keep my problem infrnt of u,,,,i am a student of class 12th now and will appear for jee and boards next year...first of all thanks for this post which has helped me from the day i read it first...

    the problem with me is that my teacher of physics in my coaching took leave ,for 2 months and till then my mechanics was over and i was doing S.H.M. ,but after a long vacation ,he finished waves and thrmodynamics very fastly and so i was unable to practive waves and thrmo...,

    i hope u understand my problem ..i just want to ask u how should i complete physics of class 11 whle the class 12th syllabus is going on fastly in classes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Aman please try to solve my problem...........
    During tests I make a lot of minor mistakes but at home i have a massive accuracy rate hence i loose my marks in tests and seeing my rank deprive i get a bit demotivated...i just wanted to clear this off ...pls help me

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aman, I too have the same problem.....Can you please help me out.......

    Good softwares

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aman, before an exam i practice a lot (A LOT) but during the exam under the presence of tough questions i cant get my head straight.i loose the peace of mind and i crack under pressure. please help how to develop a good examination temperament.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bhaiyya, ur blog truly truly rocks... U r the ultimate rocker.
    P.S. Jst an appreciatory cmmnt, plz read and ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello!
    I have regularly to your blog and I liked it. It's a nice one. Keep encouraging all the jee aspirants....
    I want to ask you that since I have selected in IITians' Pace Super 50 in New Delhi.
    Please tell me how is the FIITJEE RSM, tell me about its questions quality and about its theory part. And most important does this RSM Package contains error in the study material or error in the answer key and solutions. Is it better for me and how should I utilize it. What should I get in this package. Which is best for me FIITJEE RSM, VMC DLP or RESONANCE DLP. Which is best for AITS and why?
    PLEASE HELP ME in clearing my queries so I would follow that path. Please take out a few minutes for me from your busy schedule and answer my queries....
    Please Suggest me 2-3 books for CHEMISTRY....
    MAY GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR FUTURE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello bhaiya,
    i am from resonance(surat). i would be entering class 12 this year. in resonance chemistry faculty does not teaches nicely and it is hard to understand him, infact bhaiya whatever i studied chem in 11 i studied it myself only. since physics and maths are excellent i decided to be in resonance only. so for this year (12) should i join another extra tution for chem???????????????
    THANKS. BHAIYA YOUR BLOG HELPED ME A LOT

    ReplyDelete
  23. hello bhaiya,
    i am from resonance(surat). i would be entering class 12 this year. in resonance chemistry faculty does not teaches nicely and it is hard to understand him, infact bhaiya whatever i studied chem in 11 i studied it myself only. since physics and maths are excellent i decided to be in resonance only. so for this year (12) should i join another extra tution for chem???????????????
    THANKS. BHAIYA YOUR BLOG HELPED ME A LOT

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello friend your blog seems nice i am not regular reader of your blog but i really like it, Joint entrance examination is conduct by the CBSE board for students who want to take admission in top engineering college after class 12th, I want to informing the students that be ready for the exams your IIT JEE Main Results 2015 is declare on official website.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Suggest a correspondance course for good theory and problems for scoring under 100. 2016 jee aspirant.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Bhaiya, I am also a FIITJEE Two Year Classroom Program student and I am entering Class 12 this year but the FIITJEE staff is saying that they will give the GMP in the Last Phase that is in September.
    I would like to know how did you got it at the end of class 11.
    Thumbs up for your blog ..... It is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Bhaiya, I am also a FIITJEE Two Year Classroom Program student and I am entering Class 12 this year but the FIITJEE staff is saying that they will give the GMP in the Last Phase that is in September.
    I would like to know how did you got it at the end of class 11.
    Thumbs up for your blog ..... It is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  29. hii aman bhaiya
    can you please suggest which 11 class topic should be revised with 12 class topic(running in class) for smart and planned
    revision
    please reply

    ReplyDelete
  30. hey
    I have just came to class 12 and need to revise class 11 for jee side by side. How should I do??

    ReplyDelete
  31. hey
    I have just came to class 12 and need to revise class 11 for jee side by side. How should I do??

    ReplyDelete
  32. if both school and coching are on same day

    ReplyDelete
  33. if both school and coching are on same day

    ReplyDelete
  34. hey....i am presently in class 12th have joined fiitjee 2yr classroom programme (weekends) rest of the days i go for ttn.tue and thrs r free. fiitjee people saying that the course will be completed by october. so could u pls tell me that when is the best time to revise for class X!. my pre boards will be from dec.end.....also could you pls tell me what r the most imp.topics from class X! please.....
    thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. aman bhai.. when did u got time for ur physical fitness.. i mean did u used play any sports etc..?????

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bhaiyya , how good is Fiitjee's RSM for maths , chemistry and physics

    ReplyDelete
  37. Bhaia I will be giving jee in 2017 and I don't go to school (I am in CBSE board).I am very bad in some topics of physics and mathematics like wave and thermodynamics, hyperbola and quadratic equation. Is there any way to complete these topics in 12 (still 15 days left in beginning of my 12 i.e 4th phase of Fiitjee.and should I start solving Fiitjee archive or I should do it at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bloggers, What about Organic Chemistry?

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am currently preparing at vmc pitampura,please tell me how should I start class 11 revision along 12th - from starting or from end or the topics which I am not very confident about? Please answer.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bhaiya how could i cover my previous weak topics as in the current topics also they r used due to which i am facing problems

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hey! I am currently in 11th. I attend my coaching from 4:00pm to 10:00pm(The home-coaching distance is quite a lot. Lot of time is wasted in travelling.) Other than that, I'm free to study for the whole day. Currently, in physics, rigid body dynamics is being taught, in maths, sequence and series is being taught and in chemistry redox reactions is being taught. I used to attend school when the remaining mechanics was being taught, so I couldn't practice it even though my fundamentals are clear. Same is with complex numbers and binomial theorem. How can I manage my day so that I can complete my backlog keeping up the current topics going on in the coaching?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi aman what should be the timetable between the jee main and jee advanced remaining days

    ReplyDelete
  45. You are using free domain, blogspot 😥

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Aman, I wanted to ask that whether can you elaborate more on how to do the revision for those who are in regular schools, because we feel that we are being left out here.

    ReplyDelete
  47. can u tell that what is the best time to do previous year papers as i am covering backlogs +revision part one after the other and then on weekends i read theory books i am in class 11

    ReplyDelete
  48. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am currently in class 12. I am preparing for jee advance but I am not very fine in class 11 syllabus. Also most of the time I commit such mistakes that cause negative marking. How can I capture class 11 topics to utmost parallelly with class 12.

    ReplyDelete
  50. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  51. https://youtu.be/vgYKhwp_wGo
    Please embed this

    ReplyDelete
  52. I have my school of 8 hours so how should I manage my time... ?? With the help of your blog many things have been clear but time management is the real problem for me... Can you please help me out??

    ReplyDelete