Wednesday 9 May 2018

JEE ADVANCED 2018: Do’s and Don’ts


Hi readers, Kshitij here.

This post is primarily meant for those who are appearing for JEE Advanced 2018 to be held in the CBT Mode on 20th May, however, should serve the purpose for all future aspirants for their coming AITS and ultimately JEE. I won’t waste much time of the readers and as there’s already a “What to do in the last 20 days before Advanced” already on the blog, I won’t repeat those points all over again. This article is a general guideline on how to approach the paper, what to do while solving the paper and what not. 

Basically, it is the collection of mistakes I made in JEE Advanced 2017 and ended with such a disastrous AIR. So let’s get back to some historical aspects of what I expected after the paper and what happened.

Paper I: Did quite well. Was sure of not have made many mistakes, although never anticipated my score but ended with 137/183 just 3 marks less than what I attempted for.

Paper II: Now this is where I screwed it up. Maths here was a child’s play and I got 2 wrong in it, resulting in a big -4 where I could have got +12. Physics, it was arguably one of the easiest papers in the history of JEE Advanced and I managed just a 30/61 in it. Let's not discuss how it got screwed :(. Chemistry, well this was the final nail in the coffin which pulled my rank surely by a minimum of 500 or so as I ended with just 27/ 61. Total 102/183, “40” marks less than what I calculated later I could have got had I kept myself cool during then. 40 marks are good enough to drag me from top 500 to 2.3k. 

So let’s see what to do this time and whatnot:


       1.  Stay cool and confident during the paper. The paper need not be tough always. Yeah, I wasted a significant amount of time thinking how come Advanced be so easy, there must be some catch, but no, there are times when the paper setters don’t test your knowledge of PCM but test your anxiety and pressure handling capabilities. Don’t believe my point that paper can be easy then check this

 This question featured in the Paper 2 of JEE Advanced 2017. Now don’t you see such questions in school papers but this is where keeping your head cool comes into the picture. The early you realise that JEE Advanced these days is not a test of your knowledge of PCM, but of your “Problem selection ability, Temperament and Calmness”, the better you are.

 .      
      2.  Be prepared for any and every type of question. Never skip a topic thinking it may not come in the exam. Say for instance


(JEE ADVANCED 2017 PAPER 1)

Now who reads IUPAC Nomenclature, it’s hardly asked, lets read other stuff but the ones who did the former well took away a handsome 4 marks while others (including me) kept wondering what the hell made the paper setters give this question.
  

     3.  Read the question and options very-very carefully. I lost around 20 marks here itself due to carelessness in reading the questions and options properly.



(JEE ADVANCED 2017 PAPER 2)


Is this question difficult? In no way isn’t it but I very confidently got this wrong, reason I didn’t read the molecular formula of the reactants and 3 options satisfied the reactions but only 2 did it along with the molecular formula, resulted in a crying me with a big -2 out of nowhere.


(JEE ADVANCED 2017 PAPER 2)

Now, who solves the question right in the paper but “ticks the wring options” in it and bubbles the same. I did just to kill myself with another -2.

So the conclusion is, keep cool, don’t be excited to see an easy paper. If there’s no trick in the questions there must surely be something and here is where your “reading” comes into play.
     
      4.  Don’t do any OMR Mistakes, be it filling your information or bubbling answers. Although I didn’t lose any marks in this category it’s really heart-breaking to see a question you solved correctly after so much struggle go wrong due to a minor shift of the bubbles in OMR.

      5.   Finally a word of advice for the online paper. Although I am not used to them it's sure that solving the paper won't be that easy as it used to be in the offline paper, not for one or two but for everyone, so no need to panic over the changed exam mode.
      
       I came to know that there is a question panel displayed on the top showing all questions at a go but without options. Make sure to have a look at the questions before jumping to problems solving.

       Also no need to be surprised to see a very hilarious marking scheme like +5/-3 or something like +3/-2 or multiple answer integer or 4 digit integers or anything out of the box. JEE is full of surprises and “you must be surprised only if there is no surprise”. Well, that’s never going to happen. The paper setters are well versed how to make you sweat in the exam hall with all level of papers ranging from an utterly easy to a very tough one.

Chill out, try to enjoy those 6 hours of paper as a regular problem-solving session, keeping out all worries of results and you will surely ace the paper.
      
All the Best!

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great article! And welcome to Aman's blog! Looking forward to more awesome posts from you Kshitij :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the last line was superb.. “you must be surprised only if there is no surprise”. ..thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but the last line is not original, read it somewhere on Quora ;)

      Delete
  3. did you also do the same books aman did? or was there a little variation?
    btw you too are really a great mentor like aman for jee aspirants:) thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a somewhat different set of books than Aman sir. I relied mostly on the correspondence packages along with some books mentioned in the blog and some others which I found much easier to understand.

    Physics : Cengage Series + Resonance DLP + FIITJEE RSM
    Maths : Cengage Series + Arihant(Only for Calculus) + Resonance DLP + FIITJEE RSM(Some parts, not whole)
    Chemistry : Cengage Series(Organic and Inorganic) + Resonance DLP (Theory + Problems) + FIITJEE RSM (Problems) + M.S.Chouhan(Organic) + V.Joshi (Inorganic) + R.C.Mukherjee(Physical)

    Well, I have just started mentoring. I am no match for Aman Goel. I reached here reading his blogs and still read them in case I feel low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction : For Chemistry I used FIITJEE RSM for Theory, not problems

      Delete
  5. is cengage chemistry upto the mark? ive heard it isn't.
    does cengage cover most of the dlp and rsm stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Physical : Never used but have heard the contents are good but not the problems.

    Inorganic : Again good content but can be overwhelming and poor quality problems.

    Organic : Too much overwhelming to read but awesome presentation if all concepts. Do only the subjective questions, the objectives are sometimes beyond JEE Syllabus.

    RSM is not good for problems. Resonance material (or as a matter of fact any Kota material) is damn good for Chemistry and if you have it then Cengage can be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am terribly weak in physics but quite good in Chem and Math , So what should I do in final week to get 5000 rank ? Should I revise Chem and maths or learn Advanced topics in phy ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revise Chemistry and Maths. Don't learn anything new this week, just revise all topics covered well. All the Best!

      Delete
  8. In Q32 I also committed the same mistake !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t know if Aman is active anymore or not, so posting this here too, equally happy with your opinion too

    Hey Aman, I’m a student at Aakash Ahmedabad(giving JEE 2019) and I was hoping for some pointers with my strategy and to just get your opinion of how I’m doing

    I made a list like you said.

    Chemistry
    S-block
    P-block
    Equilibrium

    Physics
    Gravitation(hoping electrostatics covers this)
    Fluid Mechanics(Mostly Static fluids and Pascal Law)
    And Majority of Mechanics
    Laws of Motion
    Work, Energy and Power
    Rotational Dynamics

    Mathematics
    Complex Numbers(Locus Problems- ie when mixed with Conic Sections)
    Sequence and Series
    Binomial Theorem
    Conic Sections(our teacher left towards the end of eleventh, so we weren’t taught these 4 lessons)

    I gave the JEE Advanced test at aakash and got an AIR of 90 with pretty stable ranks in both papers(100 in paper 1 and 101 in paper 2)
    The pattern was similar to last year’s JEE Advanced paper, so each subject had 122 marks weightage
    Physics:64
    Chemistry: 57
    Mathematics: 40

    They’ve started 12th syllabus at Aakash now, and I’m on top of that without too many problems, but I don’t think I can revise 11th while the syllabus is still going on, so I was thinking I’d cover the leftover syllabus during the swing of revision papers in november, but after looking at the schedule, I’m a little concerned about whether I’ll be able to study the following topics in time + revise whatever else is in the test here’s the schedule of tests, revision swing starts 26-11-18 http://www.aakash.ac.in/sites/default/files/aiats/AIATS%20Schedule%20for%20JEE%20Main%20&%20Advanced%202018%20(XII%20Studying).pdf

    Laws of motion
    Have only 7 days to prepare this, so slightly concerned because I struggled alot with it last year

    Conic Sections
    Have 14 days for this, but this topic is quite vast + I might have some school exams during this time too, so might disrupt things a bit

    I was just hoping for any thoughts/pointers you might have

    ReplyDelete
  10. For Chemistry there's nothing much to be done. Just keep revisiting NCERT and your material on a regular basis and Inorganic should be done. For Chemical Equilibrium, try to solve your material for that topic again taking out a day or two's time.

    For Physics, the problems is important to be taken care of early. As you are lagging behind a huge chunk of syllabus (Although your marks don't reflect that :p) you need to start addressing it straightaway from now onwards. Don't keep it for November. It's very rarely seen that you are able to complete this much of portion in such a small time. What I would suggest is try to take out atleast 2 hours a day for a minimum of 4 days a week. Solve your material first all over again.

    For Maths don't leave Conic sections for end. On the days when you won't be revising Physics try to solve problems from your material or SK Goyal or Cengage (any 1 of these 3). Make sure to solve plenty of problems now itself as you won't be getting much time afterwards. Simpler topics like Binomial Theorem, Sequences etc can be done later but try to complete Conic Sections before the syllabus of 12th ends otherwise you will be left with a large amount of backlog which won't be easy to cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is going well, right?I am not too far behind with the syllabus, am I?

      Delete
    2. I won't give you a false image of your current scenario, but you are indeed lagging behind a vast portion of Physics and a very significant portion of Maths. Try to complete as much as possible on your own and from now onwards give up this habit of depending excessively on coaching teachers.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the input!

    Which part should I begin with in physics?The Laws of Motion part or the Fluid/Gravity part?

    Also, I still face problems when I have to perform integrations in physics(choosing elements and limits to integrate within), is that normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An example of my integration problem would be questions like Gravitational field due to a ring.

      Delete
    2. If I were at your pace I would have preferred starting with Laws of Motion as it forms the basis of all other portions of Mechanics, so covering it well should be the first task you must do.

      Well, the reason for that is you haven't practiced sufficient problems. The more problems you solve the better you become in these trivial issues. Although it's not normal to face problems in Mathematics involved in Physics but again considering your case, solving more problems should fix this problem.

      Delete
  12. Wow kshitij sir....this is an awsm article...i'm.sure it will help me a lot.....thnku so much sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but please don't call me sir, I haven't done anything to be called sir.

      Delete
  13. How to solve that vector problem.
    I recently started my JEE journey.
    I study in class 11 but wasn't able to solve that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete